Frequently asked questions



Students covered by CIHIP have access to HI (Virtual Health Care, provided by Dialogue). This online platform empowers you to be proactive about your health by allowing you to virtually connect with nurses and physicians via a mobile or web app from anywhere in Canada. Click here for details.

Please note: Eligible international students living abroad can also consult a nurse or doctor through Dialogue for any health-related questions via chat, video, or phone. Specialist referrals and drug prescriptions are not available outside of Canada.

Why a Health Plan?

International students must be covered by a basic health insurance plan when they arrive in Canada.

Without health insurance, the high cost of medical services outside your home country could limit your access to the care you need, or leave you with a large debt to pay.

To ensure that you can focus on your studies abroad, you will be able to rest easy knowing that Studentcare, the leading provider of student health and dental plans in Canada, is insuring your health and well-being.

How do I know if I’m covered?

Check your tuition billing summary to ensure you were billed for the international Plan and your fees are paid. If billed and paid your CIHIP coverage begins on the policy start date which is the first day of the month when classes start OR your date of arrival to Ontario, whichever is later.

Where is my coverage card?

Your coverage card will arrive by email within 6 weeks of your coverage start date. If you have not received it within 6 weeks of your coverage start date, or if you have lost it, please click here to request a new one. You must show it to medical staff to receive care and be eligible for reimbursement.

I lost my coverage card, can I get a new one?

Yes. You can request a new card here after your enrolment in the Plan has been activated, which can take up to 6 weeks after your coverage start date.

Can I enrol my family?

Yes. You can enrol your family (spouse and/or dependent children) in the Plan by paying an additional fee, over and above your own Plan fee. Common law couples are eligible. Dependants must be enrolled for the same length of coverage as the student. Click here to add dependants now.


How do I submit a claim?

What if my claim is rejected?

Call 1 888 206-9004 to speak with a Securian Canada representative about the reason for your claim’s rejection, and possibilities for resubmission. Make sure to have your ID and Group numbers handy.

What is the deadline for submitting claims?

All claims must be received by Securian Canada within 180 days following the date on which the expenses were incurred.


How do I find a clinic?

Click FIND A CLINIC on the home page. If you are located in the Kitchener area the closest clinics are listed. If you are not located near Kitchener use the clinic search tool found on the right-hand side of the page. Your CIHIP policy number is 017896.

Upon visiting the clinic, show the staff your printed coverage card to have your claim sent directly to Securian.

Can I go to any clinic?

You can visit any clinic in the Preferred Provider Network (PPN).